Friday, October 26, 2018

Short Q&A Break



The last few posts has been a lot of info just coming at you. Some of it might have felt like it was dry saltine cracker going down.

As a side note, this blog will be somethings I get asked alot so its easy for me to talk about. This week at the studio has been non-stop busy. More so than usual ( I haven't killed anyone yet is my usual joke)
I thought I would try to lighten the mood a bit by doing a mini Q&A.  Below are questions I get asked over and over. And so I will put my answers to those questions on the blog today.

If you could ask a producer anything, what would you ask them? Would you really take advantage of the opportunity or would you let it pass you by out of fear. If you have a question just leave a comment at the bottom of this post.

First, let's go over some student questions that I get asked


Q: How did you get into the industry. You are old so it must have been way back in the paleolithic age when you started? Ok, no they didn't word it quite that way.

A: I graduated in 2001 and had my first full time studio job in 2007. The gap for me was so I could have my family. I got pregnant and had my son in 2004. So when he was three I saw a local (same province) Studio was hiring. I had happened to graduate with someone who worked there. I did an animation test. Was it super good...nope. Was I determined to get better and put the work in? Absolutely.

This image is pretty close to how I felt starting at a studio as a mom in a long term relationship amongst all the young fresh out of college artists.



Q: What is the best way in 2018 to get into the industry?

A: Always keep an eye on studios. Follow their Facebook, their blogs, their websites. If they are posting about upcoming projects, maybe they will need some help ;) Even if they are not actively posting for artists they might still be hiring. Or they will come to you when they do need an artist. The best way to get into a studio is to be well informed. What have they done in the past? What kind of programs do they use? Knowledge is power.

Fresh young artists looking for work.


Q: How should you approach a studio?

A: Well, now that you have done your research what do you do next? Best way is to look on their website and see if they have a contact us page. If not usually its fairly easy to find a Human resource person. Or if its a small studio reach out to the owner or director. What do you have to lose. Well, that all depends on how you approach them. PLEASE, start off with an introduction. Hello, my name is Princess Consuala banana hammock. Then you can drop off a fact you learned about the company. You could say " First, I want to say congratulations on your recent project, I really like insert what you liked" Mentioned because you love what the company is up to you that you could see yourself working for them. Make sure you list your skills and experience. Clearly list links to your artwork or demo reel. I really prefer to have links directly in the email. Makes it very fast for me to see if you are a fit.
SIDE NOTE: Its probably not wise to reach out to a studio and say "I always wanted to work in animation" But have no practical knowledge, or have gone to school. Its not a studio's job to train you from scratch. Learn on your own then apply. Don't waste a person's time. They will remember that. Also true story PLEASE don't share your personal problems with a potential boss. I have learned too much about too many people. And I don't know what to do with you if you cry.

This is my computer for real with I get emails that don't make any sense. 


Q: What skills should I have?

A: Now every studio will be different. This is really based off what programs they use, how much training they will give. For us it all depends on the project. Loogaroo likes to says "Hire for attitude train for skill" I think if you are driven and KNOW you will have to put the time in to learn then you will go far. Research what studios are using and watch tutorials and get familiar with the tools. The basics of animation are far more important than the tools you will be using. Study the old classics. Draw...draw everyday.

Look how amazing you can get. Just practice practice practice. 



Q:What advice would I give new artists?

A: Approach everything with the best attitude that you can. I think out of everything, attitude is the most important. Second comes drive and passion to improve. Study everything! Be helpful. Be open to criticism. Criticism isn't personal, its all growth.

Artists with ego and bad attitude's have given me all the gray hair...yes that is my real hair.


Q:Big no no's

A: Lose the ego. Doesn't matter who you are, there is always going to be someone better than you. But, you can bring the best attitude. Learn to be organized. I know artists like to go with the wind. But plan out your artistic/life goals. Learn how to budget. Learn how to schedule your time.


I hope you have learned at least one thing from this post. And if you have any questions comment below!

I put on headphones so people won't bother me. OR sometimes I have them on with the intention of listening to some jams and then I get so busy and forget.

#thisismylife





No comments:

Post a Comment

How do trackers and folders work together?

Happy Friday! And happy Holidays to all of you out there. If you don't celebrate anything then I just wish you a good day filled with...